to make an asymmetrical one-shoulder gown with pleating down one side of the bodice to the low waist, which flowed into an a-line skirt with the border at the bottom. I even had the muslin made up. It even fit! I went to bed that night content in my choice. However. I woke up about 3 a.m. second guessing myself. I know from past experience that when I start to second guess and loose sleep over something, it's time to rethink it. Back to the drawing board I went. I considered what my original choice was, back in August. But I really wanted to use some of the fabric that my husband had brought me from Malaysia. And the red shantung kept calling to me -
So, the red silk shantung it is. I started laying the fabric out today, and 4 hours later, it is ready for marking. I am underlining it with a silk organza, which I pinned to the shantung and cut out the pieces together.
I'm using an Eva Dress pattern (vintage) I had forgotten that I had purchased this summer. It is a strapless, fitted gown with a mermaid style skirt.
I rarely wear red. I almost never wear strapless. But, I know I look best in fitted garments, as opposed to loose, flowing items. And I really love this fabric. The color in the picture really doesn't do it justice. It's almost a raspberry color. I am going to try to remember to take pictures to post as I go. But, I know I usually get busy and forget. I am running on crunch time, too. It has to be done by next Wednesday; at which time I will be getting 4 bridesmaid dresses and a MOB dress, all of which need to be altered by the following Tuesday. And we leave for Vegas a couple days later. Leaving me no time for finishing on my own dress. Wish me luck!