Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Surprise Late Christmas 'Gift'

When my children were little, Christmas  was time to put away old toys and keep out the new. Then, a few months later, when bordom set in, I would change back to the old toys, and it was like having Christmas all over again! Well, something kind of similiar happened to me yesterday.
December was one of those months where, even though I wasn't terribly busy with work, I was busy with lots of other things; trip to Vegas, making Christmas gifts, getting shopping done, baking, ect., ect., ect...  all those busy errands and chores that make up the Christmas holidays. And a few alterations. Straightening and cleaning my sewing studio was the last thing on my mind. So, when I entered it yesterday to try to put it back together, I was appalled! I had picked up 'Ella' in the morning, and there was no place to put her. My table was cluttered with everything from a box of vintage wrapping ribbon that was scattered and spilling out everywhere, to scraps of fur and felt, as well as boxes of  business cards that had just come in. The floor was littered with loose pins, more scraps, plastic bags, and ribbons used in a project. It took me a good 2 hours to clear the clutter and take out the trash. Finally I had Ella's place ready for her. She took her place of honor, and as I sat before her to take a deep breathe, I noticed the forgotten boxes that had gotten stashed and then promptly forgotten, in the corner. 
Forgotten packages!! They had been left so long ago that I could not remember what was possibly in them! They must have arrived at the peak of my busy weeks before the holidays. I was so excited! Anticipation had me reaching quickly for scissors to carefully open the packages. Even though I didn't remember what was in them, I was quite sure it was fabric - especially in the long roll. The small box though - I had no idea.
The long roll came open first - 

   I was right ofcourse - fabric!! A light weight poly chiffon; 10 yards worth. Can't for the life of me remember why I felt the need for it -probably got it on sale. I am sure I will use it. That is never in question!
Next,came the longer rectangular box.
Ah! Now I remember! I had ordered this lovely dotted voile for a dress I have had floating in my mind for some time. I had been looking for a sheer, dotted fabric with a bit of body, but still light weight. This was as close as I could get and I was getting impatient. It's a bit stiffer than I had planned, but I will wash it and hope that some of the stiffness washes out. 6 yards, for a tea length full skirt. Hmmm....may need more than 6 yards.
Finally, I opened the smaller box. Such a big box for such a little item -
A very pretty lace applique with 3 large crystal jewels sewn to it. I have no idea when or why I ordered this. Maybe it was sent by accident. Does anybody else ever do this? Place orders then forget you did so? I sure hope I am not the only one! I suspect that it is one of the signs of a (gasp!!!)  hoarder  fabric collector.
Now that these final packages have been opened, I believe that Christmas is truely over, and it's back to work I go. But that is ok - I have found that I have missed my work. I am happy to be getting  back to it. Although, I am not afraid to admit that I have greatly enjoyed my month or so of not doing much work at all.
Tomorrow it's back to ripping out zippers, taking in seams, replacing boning, piecing lace, and playing with bustles; all in my shiny clean room with my good as new Ella, who purrs like a brand new little kitten again!

No comments:

Post a Comment