Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 4 - Tiffany Gown

OMG!!! Can I just say that I am in love with this gown! I don't know if it is the fabric, which is a dream to sew with, the pattern/style of the dress, or the simple fact that it is going together so well. But this gown is just so pretty! There will be one tiny style change from the original sketch, but it has been approved my the designer ( my daugher, Brittany), so I will move forward with it.

Today I put together the dress pieces, the neck drape, and the lining. WOuld have gotten a bit more done, but my sweet husband dragged me away for a bit to go see the new Sams Warehouse. Spent a deliteful couple of hours with my sweetie. Not exactly a date, but fun just the same. 
Tomorrow I will put all the layers together, the zipper, the hem, and add a tiny bit of embellishment. I may also have to finish the inside seams of the skirt with some hem lace. I'm not comfortable with how much the silk is ravelling. Even with the underlining - it's making me nervous. I rarely see wedding gowns with the seams finished, but in this case, I would just be a bit more at peace, I think.  Have you been waiting for photo's? Well, I only have a few, and they have been cropped so you can't see the whole dress - that's for later!

First, the original design for the back detail:
And here, the change:
And a little peek of the front:


It has been asked, several times, by several people, in tones of disbelief, "how can you possibly make a wedding gown in just a few days?! Well, Dear Readers, you must understand, this is ALL I DO! I do not have a life. I get up, I feed the animals, get dressed and throw on make-up (yes, I am one of those people who wears make-up at home; you just never know when I may get called out to an appointment, or a client will show up here), and check email, then it's upstairs to the sewing studio. I do not come down again unless I have to. During my busy months/ weeks, I live on diet coke and crackers. I will sew sometimes from 8:30 a.m. till 9 or 10:00 p.m. or later. I usually come down to throw some dinner together for my husband. Then it's back upstairs. I do have to leave for appointments some days, but for the most part, I am upstairs. It is all I do. It's a good thing I love what I do. I can't imagine doing anything else. So, if you wonder how I can possibly complete an entire wedding gown in just a few days, this is part of it. The other part is that this is a very easy dress. No complicated pieces. And I have done enough wedding gowns to not have to stop and think about or read instructions.
Now, will I actually have it done in a few days? Tomorrow will be my fifth day. I have given myself till Wednesday to finish. If it continues to go as well as it has so far, yes, I will have it done!
(Famous last words, right?)



No comments:

Post a Comment